COMING SOON: NUDE VLOGGING

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Deals On Heels


the year in 7 inches.

i'm probably not at as well versed in the realm of 7 inch releases as i should be, but here is the limited collection of things you should spend your life savings on:

*not in any order although tonstarttsbandht might be number one.
**i don't write about music but i tried SO HARD 4u.

FUNGI GIRLS (Hozac) So these kids are super young and they still make perfect jams. Doldrums is one of my favorite tracks of the year, for sure. Lazy nostalgic vibes that speak of my own imprisoned life in the burbs of Strong Island.

WILD THING (Daggerman) I used the single Age Difference to bridge parts of Dateline interview with an online sex offender together and it was brilliant. Wild Thing are probably one of the greatest punk bands on the West coast. What could be better than a bunch of grungy nerdy dudes in leather jackets making perfect punk jams? Probably a Miley Cyrus sex tape.

ANGELO SPENCER (K) Spencer released the intense two part single, L'Argent. This might be my favorite release from K of 2010. Imagine Dustin Wong's Infinite Love dragged through a wild jungle by some exotic tribal men. That's pretty much what Angelo Spencer sounds like. It rules so much.

SLEEPOVERS (Hozac) The Sleepovers released three super rad sugar coated pop jams that kinda remind me of Hunx and His Punx, but maybe more poppy and more surfy. What if you were having a sleepover for your girl scout troop in Munchkinland? That's probably what this sounds like.

TONSTARTSSBANDHT (Psychic Handshake) Layered fuzz and distorted instruments laced with delicious echoing vocal harmonies. Honestly nothing beats the gritty pop vibes of Midnite Cobras, although I'm a Welsh Super is pretty dope, too. Ugh love the vocals on this soooo much.

TITUS ANDRONICUS (XL) Right before the Monitor was released, XL released a 7" for one of the most incredible singles of 2011, Four Score and Seven. I remember literally peeing myself as soon as this was posted on their myspace. Now I think of the epic moment when the band headlined Webster Hall with Free Energy and it was the most magical, beautiful, thing in the entire world. I remember Amy's silhouette against the cheesy starry backdrop of the venue while she played the violin solo and I had the craziest chills and I think I started balling. Wait, I might be making that up. Does Amy even have a solo there?!

FERGUS & GERONIMO (Hardly Art) Dude the cover art on this is awesome & rules so much. Fergus & Geronimo were one of the greatest and funnest bands that I saw during CMJ. Soul pop? Who knows. Never Satisfied is the catchiest pop jam and you should be stoked / excited for their LP coming out in like three weeks! Shitttt son!

FRESH & ONLYS (Hozac) Unfortunately, I don't own this own and I've only listened to it a few times in the studio, but it totally kills any track on Play it Strange or August In My Mind. If you're part of the Hozac Hookup Klub, you are one lucky asshole. It brings out the rougher side of the Fresh & Onlys, something I wish Play It Strange had more of. I would do anything to get this. I WILL GIVE YOU MY LIFE SAVINGS, ASSHOLE. UGH so jealous.

BABIES (Wild World) CAROLINE RULES SO MUCH. I remember listening to this and thinking it was instrumental since the song starts with almost a minute of warm guitar melodies strung together with tambourine heavy percussion, but then Cassie Ramone's vocals explode over the instruments into this epic moment of Carolining. It's soooo good.

SPIDER BAGS (Bull City) Spider Bags are probably one of the greatest most underrated bands of our generation. Maybe there's something brilliant about a band not taking advantage of the world wide web. Besides avoiding the world wide web, Daniel McGee is a master at making really great southern soaked rock jams. Dog In The Snow is perhaps rougher and faster than anything they've released thus far, but it rules & I hope the band continues to push their sound in this direction. Spider Bags 4lyfe.

BEETS (Captured Tracks) "This band sounds like they'd be fun drunk." -Mommy Rubbles. I'm seriously obsessed with the Beets and everything they've released pretty much rules. Locomotion was recorded by one of the dudes in Woods and JB Townsend of the Crystal Stilts plays some of the sweet guitars you'll hear. Both are pretty rad party/dance jams. You'll dig it.

VIVIAN GIRLS (Wild World) The Chantels cover on the B side is probably one of my favorite Vivian Girls tracks ever. I'm not even into the Vivian Girls, but the vocal harmonies on this track melt my big juicy heart.

DARLINGS (Famous Class) So I originally thought this was part of an EP, but it's actually just a super limited edition 7" that Famous Class just released. Big Girl is a super catchy pop jam that kind of reminds me of Weezer in a really good way. Can't wait for another full length from these Brooklyn babies.

NATURAL CHILD (Infinity Cat) The one and only Popjew kept raving about these kids and it all made sense when I saw them at DBA.
The dudes are pretty much the most rock and roll thing about music right now. Does that even make sense? Maybe totally bad ass works better. I mean the first track on the A side opens with "I don't wanna fuck you, but I've got to" and finishes with "I just wanna smoke crack with my friends." Straight garage rock with sick piano solos and dope lyrics. How can you beef? (PS. This was a second pressing!)

SHIMMERING STARS (Almost Musique) East Van Girls is the dreamiest nostalgic surf pop track that you'll ever hear. The second track on the B side is a slow jam, but one that melts your heart sweet harmonies and hazy dazing guitars.

SEX CHURCH (Hozac) OMG Sex Church. The hardest, rawest, mmmmm you can possibly imagine. They put out a 7" in 2009 that was one of my favorite things in the world, but this still retains the same terrible bite that Dead End has. Sex Church is probably the creepiest, slimiest, dirtiest thing about rock and roll.

NYMPHETS (S/R) I just recently stumbled upon the Nymphets, so when I found their 7" chilling at the store, I ate that shit up. It's all too short, but every second rules. The first side is a sweet slow jam about love that screams repetitive lines with sticky angst that will have you easily chiming in. The b side is a faster, rawer, straight punk jam that kind of reminds me of some UK twee pop band from the 80's, but on speed. A shit ton of it.

CRYSTAL STILTS (Slumberland) I'm pretty sure Crystal Stilts haven't released a single bad song. Even their holiday jam ruled. Shake The Shackles has more of a pop vibe than other things they've released, but Magnetic Moon kind of has that creepy vibe that I love about the band. Magnetic Moon is easily one of the best tracks of the year with eerie haunting vocals suspended in a cloud of thick haze woven with spooky synths and tambourine heavy beats.

FEELING OF LOVE (Avant!) Words really can't describe how much I love this band. Too many feelings. Of love? This 7" just has more insanely perfect bluesy garage numbers laced with fuzzy guitars and droning synths covered in hazy screeching vocals. The A side is reminiscent of the trance inducing vibes of Women's Public Strain, but with a rougher edge. Totally worth the exotic shipping cost! Favorite band of 2010? Yupp.

INDIAN WARS (Bachelor) If You Want Me is a speedy reverb intoxicated garage jam. Fast gritty guitar melodies entangled with noisy muddled vocals result in something loud and shameless but insanely infectious. Carol Anne is less overwhelming than If You Want Me, but still wins my heart over with the nostalgic pop vibes. Comanche Killer feels like haunted cowboy ghost town from the West. Every track pretty much rules.

One day I'll work for Rolling Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARCHIVES